Sunday 23 August 2009

Simple weeknight dinner: Bulgur, feta and chicken bake

Lately I have been fairly unimaginative when it comes to preparing my post work meal. On the nights that I am not out and about I like to use my evenings at home as a chance to recharge, get on top of cleaning chores and reading (woe is me!) and to have an early night and a very early meal.

I have always tried to avoid eating late so a meal that takes less than 45 minutes is always a winner. Living sans boyfriend means when I am eating alone I like something with minimal use of pots and pans to reduce cleaning times (I immensely dislike washing up, although Nigel Slater does a wonderful job of persuading me otherwise on the last page of Appetite).

This very simple dish has been my go to for the last month or so, being light enough that it doesn't feel too much on a rare sunny evening but still giving you the satisfaction of a proper evening meal.

Bulgur, feta and chicken bake
Serves 1

1 chicken breast
1 serving bulgur wheat (I use a 3/4 mug of dried bulgur)
Handful of feta (to taste)
Spring onion
2 lemons
Optional additions: grilled cherry tomatoes or roasted butternut squash.

Place chicken in dish and cover in 2 tsp of olive oil, juice of lemon and seasoning.
Cover dish with tin foil and place in oven at gas mark 7 for 45 minutes (turn over at 25 minutes).
While chicken is cooking cook bulgur wheat and then drain.
Put bulgur wheat in serving bowl and add olive oil, squeeze of lemon and chopped spring onions.
When chicken is cooked cut into medium slices and add to bulgur.
Add feta.
Serve with large glass of chilled white wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails